My daughter, Christina, had her ruby slippers on … and they worked! She’s back home in the USA! Chrissy and her, husband, Tom, arrived Wednesday evening in San Diego, where they’ll be living. If you’ve been following my blog, you know that we were “Watching for the Open Door” in June. I’m extremely happy to say that Chrissy found it and used her ruby slippers to walk on through!
Because of Chrissy and Mark’s competitive ice dance career, Chrissy had committed to living in England and competing through 2018. That all changed when Mark decided to retire from competitive skating in June. The news came as a shock and brought with it the question … what now?
We had faith that things would work out, but couldn’t know exactly how they would. Here’s what happened. In the half year since Mark’s decision, Chrissy has had lots of great new experiences:
- She started two blogs: Fit Body Full Life (with Tom, who’s a golf coch and personal trainer) and Christina Chitwood Performance.
- She took Stott Pilates training courses in Matwork, Reformer, Cadillac, Chair, and Barrel. Chrissy loves Pilates and is excited to be able to add this to her personal training repertoire. As a competitive ice dancer, she couldn’t take the time away from her ice-dance training to take Pilates training.
- She took three Zumba training courses and taught Zumba classes in Sheffield. Chrissy absolutely loves Zumba and loves teaching Zumba. She’s written four blog posts about Zumba:
- She took two glōminerals makeup training courses. She’s used her knowledge to write posts for Christina Chitwood Performance and has ideas for using her makeup training to help her skating students.
- She and Mark performed as professional ice dancers in Kyran Bracken’s Ice Party Champions on the Isle of Wight and in Basingstoke, England, in early September – a great experience.
- She enjoyed gaining more experience as a performance coach, choreographer, and personal trainer in Sheffield.
- She choreographed a large group number, a number for the Oxford Freestylers, another number she performed in with the Oxford Freestylers, and her own solo where she was the headliner for the iceSheffield Christmas show four days before her move.
- And – best of all – Chrissy was offered a position as skating coach at the beautiful Kroc Center in San Diego, the primary coaching rink for Will and the secondary coaching rink for Will’s wife, Chea. Chrissy and Tom have always loved visiting Will and Chea in San Diego and had hoped to settle down there when Chrissy stopped competitive skating. Coaching positions at the Kroc don’t open up that often – and the timing couldn’t be better!
Chrissy moved permanently to San Diego on December 8. Tom is actually visiting Chrissy right now because he has to return to England on January 11 for his final visa application appointment at the U.S. Embassy in London. But by late January, he, too, should be a Californian!
Will and Chrissy were always very close, and this is a wonderful chance for both of them to live and work closely together again. They’ll actually live in the same apartment building and can even carpool to work. And Chea and Chrissy are like sisters who are excited to spend more time together. Will and Chea and Chrissy and Tom have always had so much fun together – and are looking forward to lots of happy family time.
And as for Terry and me … it’s our perfect Christmas present and I’m overflowing with gratitude and happiness! I’m grateful for the amazing experiences both Chrissy and I had in England – and that Chrissy found her wonderful husband there! And I’m more than grateful for the many happy family times we’ll have in the future at Terry’s and my favorite place to visit!